Stable, high performance MR fluids are at the heart of the MRF process, helping optics manufacturers polish superior optical surfaces. QED continues to invest in and develop our fluid technology. Today, we have a family of MR fluids, each with specific properties that enable you to achieve the best possible results for your applications.
Need to polish tungsten carbide?
We have a fluid for that.
Want to aspherize your optics?
We have a fluid for that too.
Need to achieve ultra-low roughness (< 1.5 Å rms) for those demanding applications?
We have a fluid for that as well.
Better results, creative solutions... we have a fluid for that.
- C10+ The precision figure correction workhorse for optical glasses. Our “go to” fluid for polishing glass spheres, aspheres and freeforms. Using a cerium-oxide abrasive, it offers the best balance of removal rate and roughness.
- D10 Our original “high-removal rate fluid” and the first to use a diamond-based abrasive. D10 has excellent performance on poly-crystalline materials like tungsten carbide and silicon carbide. A great choice for smoothing diamond turning marks on IR optics or when you want higher removal rates on softer glasses and crystals.
- D11 Our highest removal rate fluid, use D11 when you need to go fast or remove many microns of material. It also provides lower roughness on most materials than D10 – even on glass! A great choice for polishing large parts or aspherizing mild departure aspheres. D11 is the fluid of choice for polishing the hardest materials (e.g. sapphire).
- D20 Our low roughness and most universal fluid. D20 can polish just about any material with very low roughness (as low as 2-3 Å) and very low scatter. It excels at CaF2, optical glasses and other soft materials. If you’re constantly polishing a wide variety of materials, D20 can minimize the downtime of frequent fluid changes.
- C30 The newest and lowest roughness MR fluid QED has ever produced! With C30, routinely polish surfaces to below 1.5 Å rms roughness on a variety of materials, while reducing defects and increasing the laser damage threshold of your optics. C30 produces pristine surfaces with ultra-low roughness, scatter and subsurface damage. The newest member of the QED fluid family is available for use on the Q22-X/Y & Q-flex systems.