Q-flex systems offer all of the legendary determinism of MRF finishing, plus increased flexibility and repeatability in modular, production–ready platforms that help you manufacture smarter. Q-flex systems deliver unprecedented manufacturing capabilities—especially for difficult spheres aspheres, and freeforms.
- Modular MRF head design for fast tool-free changeovers.
- Fluid Control Module (FCM) provides improved fluid stability, calibrated and repeatable performance, plus quick fluid changes and easy cleaning.
- QED.NET software with easy-to-use wizards, is fully configurable for optimum throughput with any level of operator skill.
The Q-flex systems’ heads and FCMs are common across family platforms, and can be shared between Q-flex machines. In minutes, MRF heads can be changed from 10 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm and 150 mm size to accommodate your polishing needs.
Engineered for Excellence
The modularity of Q-flex systems means you can match the machine to your workload, bringing greater efficiency to your precision optics shop. Q-flex systems are designed for a production-oriented environment.
Q-flex systems offer all of the legendary determinism of MRF finishing, plus increased flexibility and repeatability in modular, production-ready platforms that help you manufacture smarter. Q-flex systems deliver unprecedented manufacturing capabilities—especially for difficult spheres aspheres, and freeforms.
In minutes, MRF heads can be changed from 10 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm and 150 mm size to accommodate your polishing needs.
- Heads can be selected to optimize polishing tool size (spot), concave part radius, freeform geometry and more.
- Heads are quickly and kinemetically adjusted for rotational, raster or freeform modes.
- Head realignment is automated with a built-in probing station.
- Head carts are provided for efficient operation and convenient parts storage.
- Faster and easier setup after cleaning, with greater day-to-day and operator-to-operator repeatability
The Fluid Control Module (FCM) houses the fluid delivery system hardware and controls in one package.
- With multiple FCMs, fluid changeovers can be completed in minutes.
- MRF fluid can be maintained in bypass within or remotely from the base machine.
- Cleanup is easy: the FCM is on wheels and can be moved to a cleaning station.
- With new EFMS (Electronic Fluid Monitoring System) fluid control system, you get improved fluid strength control.
Power and Precision
“Around the wheel” virtual axis technology for true freeform polishing.
Choose the polishing modes that best fit your needs!
Rotational and Freeform Rotational Polishing
- Part size up to: ~125 mm Ø *
- Half angles up to 90 degrees
- Part apertures: round
- Rotational Mode:
- Part shapes: plano, sphere, asphere
- Freeform Rotational Mode:
- Part shapes: toroid, off-axis asphere, freeform
Raster and Freeform Raster Polishing
- Part size up to: ~125 x 125 mm * (larger parts achievable depending on geometry)
- Part apertures: round, rectangular, hexagonal, elliptical, custom shapes via bitmap aperture definition
- Raster Mode:
- Part shapes: plano, prism, cylinder
- Half angles up to 90 degrees (cylinders only)
- Freeform Raster Mode:
- Part shapes: sphere, asphere, toroid, off-axis asphere, freeform
- Half angles up to 90 degrees in X direction, 30 – 45 degrees in Y direction (depending on wheel)
Minimum Concave Radius of Curvature**
Max Half Angle (when using "around the wheel capability)
The results listed above are typical values.
Surface quality/integrity improvement
- Increase laser damage resistance
- Remove subsurface damage
- Remove stress
- Remove haze, fine cosmetics on sensitive glasses
Induce specific form/figure for special purposes
- Correct transmitted wavefront error by polishing only 1 surface
- Correct prism angle error
- Correct thickness variation of thin film
- Create “phase plate” or induce other specific aberrated surface error
Specifications are subject to change without notice.
* Please note that workpiece geometry and weight specifications are approximate values to be used as general guidelines. Due to other factors such as workpiece inertia that are difficult to quantify, there are parts outside this range that can indeed be run under certain circumstances, as well as parts within this range that may not run under all circumstances. Please use caution when attempting parts outside these limits, or contact QED for further guidance.
** Radius range dependent on specific part geometry and heads geometry
*** Available axes depends on options purchased
**** 3/8” min airline tubing with 1/4 NPT Female (connection to be supplied by customer)